Thanksgiving has always been one off the busiest travel days of the year and this year is no exception. It’s predicted that this year, a record-breaking 54.3 million people will be traveling 50 miles, up 5% over last year.
Why is this?
Flying simply isn’t as much fun as it used to be. Long airport security lines, the chance of getting bumped from your flight, and tight quarters. When you drive, you have more control over your trip and you can blast your own tunes! Plus, you have your own vehicle with you when you arrive at your destination giving you a bit of freedom.
But, more and more people are catching on to this and that means sharing the road.
Longer Travel Season
Thanksgiving travel period is lasting a lot longer with people extending their vacations. Starting on November 16, you can expect to see the freeways more congested than normal up through November 26. If at all possible, plan your travel times around that timeframe.
We want to you get to your destination and back safely.
Follow these simple road trip safety tips this Thanksgiving:
- Leave early – know that there will be delays and play to take alternate routes
- Slow down – Speeding is still the number one cause of traffic accidents
- Give yourself space – normal following distance is 2 seconds but with more cars on the road, give yourself more room
- Focus on driving – avoid distracted driving by putting your cell phone down
- Pack wisely – if you’ve got kids with you, pack plenty of snacks, water, games, and entertainment to keep them busy and less of a distraction while you’re driving
- Never drive impaired – Always think ahead if you are planning on consuming alcohol by designating a sober driver. Have the number to a taxi programmed in your phone or a ride service app already downloaded so you can contact them when needed
Coverage From All Sides
If you’re in an accident and we are your agent, don’t hesitate to call us because we know that accidents don’t take a vacation. If your agent hasn’t reviewed your policy lately, now is the ideal time before you head over the river and through the woods with precious cargo at risk. Contact us so we can give you that peace of before your trip.
Peter Cole, insurance agent and partner at Pentagon Insurance Agency in Elk River, MN, began his career in the industry more than 30 years ago. He prides himself on backing up every sale by personally providing service to his clients and by providing the coverage they need at the best possible price.
Contact Peter to discuss your situation today!
Read related car insurance articles
- Minnesota ‘Hands-Free’ Driving Law: Are you prepared?
- FAQs – Minnesota Teen Graduated Driver License
- Life-Saving Driving Tips When Sliding on Black Ice
- Top Holiday Scams: Don’t Be Fooled
- Thanksgiving Travel Tips to Arrive Safely